AXIS Dance Company, one of the world’s most acclaimed and innovative ensembles of performers with and without disabilities, was founded in 1987. Under the Artistic Direction of Judith Smith, the Company’s list of collaborators read like a Who’s Who of contemporary dance and has received seven Isadora Duncan Dance Awards and an additional nine nominations. AXIS is also known for its unparalleled education/outreach program Dance Access and its youth component Dance Access/KIDS! .
Join us as we expand the possibilities with innovative choreography showcased by bold, new dance performances!
Board of Directors Responsibilities
The Board’s key responsibilities include: planning, financial oversight, fundraising, evaluation and monitoring, and public relations. Directors are elected to serve for a term of two years.
We meet monthly and work collaboratively on a range of governance and fundraising initiatives. We also hold committee meetings, as needed, to carry out development and organizational planning, fiscal management, and to assist the company with special events.
We seek individuals to join the AXIS Board who have a strong personal commitment to our mission; deep leadership experience; and powerful relationship-building and network-building practices.
Board Membership Overview
Our Board works in concert with AXIS’ vision—our aim is to provide creative, collaborative stewardship and support.
Benefits of Board membership include:
- satisfaction of supporting a unique, internationally-acclaimed arts organization that pioneers new visions of dance and disability
- networking with artists and professional colleagues that share a passion for the arts and education
- invaluable leadership experience
- first-hand involvement in arts production, marketing, development, community relations and nonprofit management
- a chance to give back to the community
Board Member Job Description:
Determine the planning and policy decisions, assure adequate funding, monitor and sanction activities and provide support to the Staff.
Directors serve for a term of two years and may serve as many as three consecutive terms.
- Be informed about the organization’s mission, services, policies, and programs and interpret AXIS’ work and values to the community, represent the company, and act as a spokesperson.
- Attend at least 75% of board meetings, committee meetings, retreats and special events.
- Make a personal financial contribution to the organization, aiming to achieve an annual “give or get” goal set by the Board at the annual retreat.
- Actively plan one fundraising activity and participate in one or more fundraising activities.
- Support AXIS performances, making every effort to bring guests to performances and volunteering for at least one local performance or class.
- Act in the best interests of the organization, and excuse her/himself from discussions and votes where there is a conflict of interest.
- Stay informed about what’s going on in the organization. Ask questions and request information.
- Participate in and take responsibility for making decisions on issues, policies and other board matters.
- Work in good faith with staff and other board members as partners towards achievement of our goals and actively communicate on any changes in their ability to participate in our collaborative efforts.
- Communicate with the board if s/he unable to fulfill any of the above commitments to AXIS.
If you are looking to contribute your leadership skills and experiences to an organization with high-standards for the performance of all its members, effective accountability practices, and the opportunity to lead in the arts, then a volunteer position on AXIS’s Board of Directors may be the right match for your talents and strengths.
To be considered for the AXIS Board of Directors, please submit a résumé detailing your relevant leadership experience with a cover letter explaining what AXIS Dance Company means to you, and how you see your strengths helping to advance AXIS’s mission and vision. You may send these materials and address any questions to Mollie McFarland at email@example.com, with “Board of Directors” in the subject line.
AXIS is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply for open positions regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or any other legally protected status.